Do you know what does it mean by a silicone baking mat? Have you ever used it or heard about it? No? In this article, you will learn everything about the silicone baking mat along with the reasons behind how it makes your baking experience easiest and pleasurable. Let’s start exploring the silicone baking mat!
What is a silicone baking mat?
A silicone baking mat is the best non-sticky liner that you can use for baking purposes or for kneading your dough. It is made up of a good and high-quality food-grade silicone that is absolutely safe to use. It comes in different shapes and different sizes so that you can easily adjust it according to your needs. For example, if you want to use it in the oven, you can buy one according to the size of your oven. If you want this to knead the dough, you can get it according to your dough volume requirements or so. Once used, you can easily clean and roll them for using them later whenever you want.
The silicone baking mat is also available in different colors so that you can choose any according to your choice. Furthermore, some of them are plain mats while others are textured. Similarly, some of the silicone mats come with circular lines in order to help you in preparing the exact sizes of dough or for cutting the cakes, etc.
Why I should use the silicone mat?
There are numerous reasons behind how it will make your baking experience the easiest and more pleasurable. In order to achieve these benefits, you must consider using the silicone baking mat. These benefits are as follows:
- The silicone baking mat is the most durable item when it comes to baking. Most of the other tools of baking get damaged after a longer duration of use, but the silicone mats go for years. Once you buy a good quality silicone baking mat, it will stay the same no matter how much you use it. Hence, its durability is its most amazing feature.
- Another amazing benefit of using the silicone baking mat is that it has a non-stick capability. This feature allows us to do stick-free baking without any disasters. None of our dough or any baking item will stick to the bottom during baking if you will use the silicone baking mat.
- Furthermore, it is also highly temperature resistant which allows it to withstand any high or low temperature. No matter what the temperature, there would be no damage to your silicone baking mat.
- It is highly affordable and easily available at any retail store. You can get a silicone baking mat at a starting price of $7 that may go higher than $50 based on the size, and other features, as well as the mat selling the brand.
- It is also very easy to store in your kitchen as it will not consume a lot of space. You can easily roll it and keep it in any corner of your kitchen cabinet.
- Last but not least, it is very easy to clean this mat. You will learn about this in detail in the next section.
How to clean your silicone baking mat?
The cleaning of the silicone baking mat is super easy because it doesn’t have a sticky surface. Due to its non-stick surface, none of the food items stick to this mat. This is the greatest relief when it comes to washing or cleaning it. For the purpose of cleaning this mat, open it and lay it down in the sink.
Put some slightly hot water into it and clean it by using some liquid dishwashing soap and a sponge. Once done, wash it again with slightly warm water so that no grease left on it. Take a piece of clean cloth and spread it over the mat so that it can absorb all the water. Let it dry completely, roll it, and keep it in the kitchen cabinet.
Why it is better than Baking Paper?
Do many people ask why they should use a silicone baking mat instead of baking paper? What is the difference between these two and which one is better? The answer is that the silicone baking mat is always the best choice due to a number of reasons. Let’s read them one by one.
The silicone baking mat is more durable than the baking paper. Once bought, the silicone baking mat would stay the same for years while the baking paper would not be durable like the silicone baking mat. You can use the baking paper just once and then; it needs to be disposed of.
When we talk about reusability, the silicone baking mat is the only one that meets this criterion. You cannot use the same baking paper for baking multiple times. However, you can easily re-use the silicone baking mat as many times as you want. It would stay the same over an extended period of time in contrast to baking paper.
When we talk about the price, the baking paper is cheaper than the silicone baking mats. However, if you evaluate their cost in the long run, the silicone baking mats would be highly cost-effective than the baking paper. This is because you will have to pay the price of a silicone baking mat for just one time. After that, you can use the same mat for years without investing in extra money. In contrast, you have to pay for the baking papers every time you buy them. You even cannot re-use them again and again in order to save the overall cost for a year.
- Curling ends
The silicone baking mats are good and highly recommended when it comes to curling ends. When you are baking something, the corners of the baking paper may get curled while the corners or the silicone baking mat would stay flat. In this way, the silicone baking mat would add more stuff to your baking along with an amazing baking experience. In contrast, the curled corners of baking paper may get messy when confronting with your baking mixture.
Is Silicon Baking Mat Safe?
Whether we are cooking or baking a specific dish, safety is the topmost concern. Especially during baking, you must take care of your hands as you may not get them burnt during using a
If you are not using the silicone baking mat for baking something in the oven but using it for rolling doughs etc., it is still safe to use. It has no sharp edges or anything that could harm you. Furthermore, it is made up of an inert material that is completely safe. There is no such thing used in its manufacturing that could move from the mat into your food. Thus, it is completely safe to use the silicone baking mat.
Read about: Cookie Sheet on Wikipedia